Thursday, July 7, 2016

Now you see me 2 (2016)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2016
Director: Jon M. Cgu (G.I. Joe: Retaliation)
Actors: Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network), Mark Ruffalo (The Avengers 1&2), Woody Harrelson (The Hunger Games, Zombieland), Dave Franco, Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter)
Country: USA
Genre: Thriller, Action
Conditions of visioning: 04.07.2016, Omni Cinema, Edinburgh
Synopsis: One year after their exploit in revealing the malversations of an insurance magnate, the Four Horseman are waiting for a new assignment that makes use of their talent as magicians. But when the show comes, they are outdone by an unknown adversary.
Review: Now you see me showed an original concept that pleased the audience. For this sequel the same ingredients are used. I didn't remember all the details of the story of the first movie so I was a bit lost for a while at the beginning of that one, until it slowly came back to me after watching how the characters interact with each other.
As I have just wrote in my review of Independence Day: Resurgence, it is interesting to notice that a large part of the movie takes place in China to please the growing local moviegoers audience.
The tricks used by the magicians are more and more far-fetched and unrealistic, but they still help giving the movie its fast pace during the "action" scenes, reminding of Ocean's 11 for the robbery parts. Special mentions go to Woody Harrelson playing his own twin brother, eccentric like the roles he had at the times of Ed TV, and to Daniel Radcliffe in the first role in which I find him at ease and playing differently since he was Harry Potter (unlike in The Woman in Black). The presence of Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine also help in delivering a good quality movie, but I cannot say I liked it more than a little, partially because of a predictable third act and ending.
Rating: 5 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment