Friday, May 1, 2015

Uncle Victory (2014)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2014
Director: Meng Zhang
Actors: Haibo Huang, Xinyi Zhang, Xue Guo
Country: CN
Genre: Drama
Conditions of visioning: 29.04.2015, Teatro Nuovo, FEFF2015
Synopsis: After 10 years in jail, a man ends up opening a kindergarten, but his past will catch up with him.
Review: This movie was sold to me as a good picture of contemporary China. I also though the guy would travel (maybe because of the side-car motorbike on the poster) while he is just stuck in his neighbourhood. In the end I found that there were too many ellipses and I had a hard time understanding who did what.
There are some touching scenes involving the children the ex-convict is trying to educate, but too often I couldn't understand the reactions of the characters. There are also some nice settings (the kindergarten, the huge open-sky mine) and a semi-interesting slice of Chinese History seen from a small group of people trying to make a living, but not enough to keep my attention. 
Rating: 3 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment