Friday, May 8, 2015

Ratatouille (2007)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2007
Director: Brad Bird (Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol), Jan Pinkava
Actors (voices): Brad Garrett, Lou Romano, Patton Oswalt
Country: USA
Genre: Animation, Comedy
Conditions of visioning: 06.05.2015, Blu-ray, Home cinema
Synopsis: Remy is an atypical rat passionated by good food. Fate will separate him from his family and lead him to Paris, Capital of Gastronomie.
Review: I enjoyed watching Ratatouille more than the memory I had of it. I remembered it was re-using old Pixar recipes and was the first of their "less good" movies (see a more detailed list in the review of The Pixar Story), while in fact it is still very original and entertaining at many levels.
As the first time I saw it, I am amazed that the topic of Gastronomy could be so well tackled by an American movie, contrary to all the prejudice I can have against the native country of fast food. The movie really makes my mouth water and motivates me to cook some good dishes. I have read that this was intended and the team participated to trainings on the topic as well as trips to Paris.
Then I loved the animation of the rats, very fast and realistic. Again, I have read that a rat farm with transparent windows was installed at Pixar for a while to help the animators.
Finally the story is quite typical for Disney (an underdog story) and aimed at kids, but the setting in the middle of the struggle for the control of a great restaurant is a theme that can speak to adults as well. And the ending is so satisfying that it made me forget the reservations I could have had.
Rating: 8 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment