Thursday, November 12, 2015

Dumb and Dumber To (2014)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2014
Director: Bobby & Peter Farrelly (Osmosis Jones, Me Myself and Irene, Dumb and Dumber)
Actors: Jim Carrey (The Mask, Kick Ass 2), Jeff Daniels (The Lawnmower Man, Looper), Rob Riggle
Country: USA
Genre: Comedy
Conditions of visioning: 04.11.2015, HD VOD, 14" computer screen
Synopsis: Since their latest adventures, Lloyd (Carrey) has spent 20 years in a mental institution but wakes up when his friend Harry (Daniels) tells him during a visit that he has health problems. The two buddies will then embark on a road-trip to find a daughter.
Review: Twenty years ago I laughed a lot at the kind of parodic/dumb humour displayed in movies like Dumb and Dumber, Airplane, The Naked Gun series, Hot Shot... So it is with some nostalgia that I watched this sequel but not expecting to like it too much, especially after having seen the trailer I knew what to expect.
So I was not surprised by what I saw: Harry and Lloyd trying to top up the ridicule and dumbness of the first movie. I cannot tell whether it is better that the first or not, because I saw them at two different ages, but I found this one to be well in line with the other, displaying the right amount of referential jokes that I could get even if not having seen the original in 10-15 years. For example I appreciated when Lloyd says to Harry about his apartment: "I like what you've done with the place" because after 20 years nothing has changed even the ridiculous poster on the wall! The return of bird-loving Billy is also welcome.
But be warned, it is definitely not light-weight humour so I would advise the movie only to a knowing audience.
Rating: 2 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment