Friday, November 20, 2015

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 1997
Director: Jay Roach (Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers)
Actors: Mike Myers (Wayne's World 1-2), Elizabeth Hurley (Edtv), Michael York, Seth Green (Idle Hands)
Country: USA, D
Genre: Comedy
Conditions of visioning: 17.11.2015, SD VOD, 14" computer screen
Synopsis: Very popular spy in the 60's, Austin Powers (Myers) gets himself frozen after his arch-enemy Dr Evil (Myers) does the same. They both come back to life in the 90's, one still looking forward to world domination, the other trying to stop him while acclimatizing to those different times, helped by his partner Vanessa (Hurley).
Review: Probably due to a favorable conjunction, I loved this movie when it went out at a time when I was watching the Naked Gun, Hot Shot or Airplane movies on a monthly basis, so much that I knew all the funniest dialogs by heart and often repeated them to my friends, also enthusiasts. Mike Myers has indeed created a very interesting character with Austin Powers.
But as much as I still like watching Wayne's World, it was rather painful and sad to watch Austin Powers after so many years, in spite of some moments that I will never forget and the images associated to the soundtrack that I often listen (see this article about some worthy movie soundtracks). I found the jokes to be very slow and playing in a style that doesn't correspond to me anymore. This was not helped by the fact that I still knew most of them by heart. To save from this movie are the James Bond parodic moments and the way the music is used (in the danced intro and outro, or the Las Vegas bus evening for example).
I was very disappointed by the first sequel The Spy Who Shagged me and I haven't even dared watching the next one Goldmember.
Rating: 3 /10

1 comment:

  1. I remember having watched this movie as I was living in Nancy, France. And it is the first and only movie in my life in front of which I fell asleep. This means it must have been very boring. But on the other side I do not remember much from that movie apart from the ever repeating jokes that were not my taste at all.

    ReplyDelete