Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Witching and Bitching (2013)

Also Known As: Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (original)
Year of first release: 2013
Director: Alex de la Iglesia (Accion Mutante, 800 Balas, El Crimen Ferpecto)
Actors: Hugo Silva, Mario Casas, Pepón Nieto
Country: E, F
Genre: Comedy, Horror
Conditions of visioning: 22.03.2014, CINEMA theater, MFFFN14
Synopsis: An odd gang of bank robbers escapes towards France. They will commit the mistake of stopping at Zugarramurdi, legendary witches village.
Review: This may well be the best movie by Alex de la Iglesia to date. I didn't like so much the last I have seen from him: The Last Circus and didn't know what to expect from this one. He didn't disappoint me, and I enjoyed it as much as when I first saw his other movies.
Actually Witching and Bitching looks like a condensed version of the best that Alex de la Iglesia can do: fun Horror like in El Dia de la Bestia and Accion Mutante, Comedy (and oppression of men by women) like in El Crimen Ferpecto, references, action and father-son relationship like in 800 Balas, and a well-written story like in The Oxford Murders.
And the mix is explosive. Unlike his other movies that slow down at some point and may disappoint in their ending, I found that Witching and Bitching never stops surprising and delivering crazy and original ideas. The constant analogy between witches and women in general (obviously not to take seriously) is hilarious, like when the young witch betrays her family to save the hero, he asks about his friends and she replies: "what, you prefer to be with your friends than with me?", followed by an impossible discussion during which the man is trapped whatever he says: "I don't know what to say but I will say whatever you like!".
The dialogs are exchanged extremely quickly, and often I could only try to follow the sub-titles without even watching the image. The movie experience must be even better for fluent Spanish speakers.
As he already did in the past, de la Iglesia doesn't hesitate the show his gorgeous wife Carolina Bang in the most sexy poses. I hadn't seen yet the half-squaw haircut fit someone so well.
Rating: 9 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment