Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Enemy (2013)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2013
Director: Denis Villeneuve (Polytechnique)
Actors: Jake Gyllenhaal (Donnie Darko, Source Code), Mélanie Laurent (Inglorious Basterds, Now you See me), Sarah Gadon (Antiviral, Cosmopolis)
Country: CDN, E
Genre: Thriller
Conditions of visioning: 23.03.2014, CINEMA theater, MFFFN14
Synopsis: A troubled history teacher (Gyllenhaal) seeks out his exact look-alike after spotting him in a movie.
Review: I had read some good about the director Denis Villeneuve for his Polytechnique, after I have watched Mars & Avril from his brother Martin. And now I think I should see his recent Prisoners with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal also. Strangely enough I can recognize a certain common style between Enemy and Mars & Avril, a kind of common love for the abstract.
Enemy fully relies on Jake Gyllenhaal, and he is then allowed to show us his full potential, playing two characters with very different personalities. He is very good as the depressed teacher, and very convincing as well as the actor. His expressions, look and posture allow you to tell immediately which character is on screen. Good point for him.
The way the movie is shot is very good as well. It has a certain oppressing atmosphere hard to describe, partly due to the constant overcast weather.
The story is very intriguing. Many movies have been done about doubles or twins, often comedies, but this one is actually closer to Dead Ringers (Faux Semblants in French), directed by another Canadian David Cronenberg. I liked trying to follow the story and always wondering what would happen next. I can understand the ending can frustrate some people. I cannot tell too much about it, but the question you must ask when watching the movie is: what is it with the spiders?!? I found this website that has an interesting theory. Careful, massive spoilers in it.
Below you will find in full size a poster for the movie much nicer that the one I had first.
Rating: 7 /10

1 comment:

  1. I watched this movie on 07.04.2014 in the OV Sneak preview in the Schauburg, Bremen. I found the directing amazing. There is almost no dialogue because most of the feelings and impressions are transmitted by the picture and the music. The objects and the colors of the objects in the appartments and outside, the silence of the environment make me feel calm and receptive. The music that is following us all along the movie and the amazing actors make me feel oppressed, as you write. The important to me is that the communication affects the feelings maybe because there is no word. And the oppression feeling seems to come from the first mysterious scene with the spider. It is a bit like in David Lynch movies Lost Highway and Mullholand Drive where the mystery induced by the first scene sticks to the viewer all along. Great experience! I would put rather 8/10.

    ReplyDelete