Monday, March 31, 2014

The Sum of All Fears (2002)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2002
Director: Phil Alden Robinson (1 episode of the Band of Brothers TV-series)
Actors: Ben Affleck (Paycheck, Armageddon), Morgan Freeman (Deep Impact, The Shawshank Redemption), Ian Mongrain, Bridget Moynahan (I, Robot, Lord of War)
Country: USA
Genre: Thriller
Conditions of visioning: 29.03.2014, DVD, Home cinema
Synopsis: CIA analyst Jack Ryan (Affleck) becomes involved in the investigation about a nuclear threat, while Russia appears to become unstable.
Review: I think to remember reading that this was a good thriller, so I bought this cheap second-hand DVD edition when I saw it. The image quality is very poor, but this aside, it is indeed an excellent thriller, if you like this kind of CIA / political / nuclear threat / super agent movie. I am surprised I never saw it before. I admit the title is a bit pompous.
I can't remember another movie mixing all those elements, the Bourne movies don't have the political element, neither have the 24 TV-series, that is the closest I can think of especially when Jack Ryan ( = Jack Bauer) seems to be all around and the only man that can save the world (the only annoying part in the movie). The writings of Tom Clancy must have inspired the TV-series. Of course another movie in the same style is also adapted form Tom Clancy, also starring Jack Ryan (played by Alec Baldwin): The Hunt for Red October.
What surprised me most in the story is how far it went. The nuclear war threat escalation is very believable and the dialogs and action very well written.
Affleck, Freeman, Cromwell and Moynahan all play very well.
Rating: 8 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment