Sunday, January 31, 2016

La Danza de la Realidad (2013)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2013
Director: Alejandro Jodorowsky (Santa Sangre, El Topo)
Actors: Brontis Jodorowsky, Pamela Flores, Jeremias Herskovits
Country: RCH, F
Genre: Drama
Conditions of visioning: 28.01.2016, Cinema MLC, GIFFF2016
Synopsis: In the small Chilean town on Tocopilla, the 10-year old Alejandro Jodorowsky is learning life from his communist father and overly affective mother.
Review: I have loved watching the previous works of the artist Alejandro Jodorowsky: El Topo, La Montagna Sagrada and Santa Sangre, very well aware that they are not easy for one's brain to accept. His first movie Fando & Lis (in Black & White) is in particular quite ... boring to watch nowadays.
La Danza de la Realidad is different from those older creations, produced 23 years after the latest of his movies (The Rainbow Thief with Omar Sharif, already sitting on my Blu-ray shelf) and being a kind of fantasized autobiography of the period when he was 10 years old in Chili. He will in fact release this year the second movie in a 5-part series about his life: Endless Poetry.
About this movie, well... it is very particular as usual with Jodorowsky and we do find the common grounds with his other movies: circus, crippled, family relationships and naked bodies, sometimes I found shown to no interest. The crazy creativity of the movie is refreshing but I would have preferred it to be contained within 90 minutes instead of 130.
The desert landscapes around Tocopilla have a special significance for me, reminding me of a region of the world that I am quite familiar with and about to be even more.
What I found best in this movie are the scenes during which the real-life 87 years old Jodorowsky is standing behind his 10 years old self and whispering him philosophical advices like "Everything that I am is already contained in you" or "Do not regret the hard time you are going through as they will transform you into me". I found those scenes very poetic.
Rating: 5 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment