Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Extinction (2018)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2018
Director: Ben Young
Actors:  Lizzy Caplan, Michael Peña (Ant-Man 1-2), Mike Colter (Luke Cage TV-series)
Country: USA
Genre: SF, Drama
Conditions of visioning: 28.07.2018, VOD, 10" tablet screen.
Synopsis: A father (Peña) has a recurring dream of losing his family. His nightmare turns into reality when the planet is invaded by a force bent on destruction.
Review: As you may know I am a sucker for World-scale Alien invasion movies. My favorites to date? Battle Los Angeles, District 9, They Live, Edge of Tomorrow and maybe guiltily Independence Day. I could also add The Thing or The Blob but the scale of those is more limited. Extinction is quite unpretentious as you can tell from the low-profile cast (nice to see Michael Peña in a serious lead role), but I like this approach as I liked the one of the recent Annihilation, reminding of an episode of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits.
Once the attack occurs, it all seems very predictable and made me wonder where it could possibly go beyond a man just defending its family. But then bam! the revelation at the two thirds of the movie took me by surprise, and made watching the end of the movie quite pleasant. This is made possible by a direction that lets the story sink into the audience instead of wrapping up too quickly.
It would be easy to say that this twist is the only interest of the movie an that it doesn't have anything else to offer, but the way I saw it is that the quality of direction/editing and acting could let me reflect on what I had just learn and how it impacted my vision of everything that has happened and that we were told before.
If not a major film, a nice little Sci-Fi B-movie like I enjoy them.
Rating: 7 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment