Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Battle Los Angeles (2011)

Also Known As: World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles
Year of first release: 2011
Director: Jonathan Liebesman (Wrath of the Titans)
Actors: Aaron Eckard (Thank you for Smoking, The Dark Knight, Paycheck), Michele Rodriguez (Avatar, Machete), Bridget Moynahan (I Robot, Lord of War)
Country: USA
Genre: SF, War
Conditions of visioning: 01.02.2013, Blu-ray, Home cinema
Synopsis: A military instructor (Eckard) is about to retire when a meteor shower off the coasts of Los Angeles turns out to be an Alien invasion.
Review: For some reason I love this movie and don't agree with the comments I heard that it is exaggeratedly pro-army. For me it is maybe the best Alien invasion movie, as good as District 9 in a different approach, and depicting the military in the same way that I liked in Black Hawk Down. Nothing to do with Independance Day or Transformers! And it cannot be compared with the excellent comedy Mars Attacks!.
The aliens are slowly revealed but never steal the show, more focused on the bravery of a small unit of freedom fighters. The usual pro-american proaganada is avoided and I don't think I saw one obviously big flag in the movie. The storyline is quite unpredictable which is also appreciable. And what an ending! I had to watch Avatar just after to keep the same level or action, SFX and heroism.
I would have put a higher ranking but there are cheesy parts when the guys try too hard to save civilians, represented by the soft Bridget Moynahan.
Rating: 8 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment