Sunday, August 12, 2018

Assassin's Creed (2016)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2016
Director: Justin Kurzel (The Snowtown Murders)
Actors:  Michael Fassbender (Prometheus, Inglorious Basterds), Marion Cotillard (Inception), Jeremy Irons (Die Hard 3)
Country: USA
Genre: Thriller, Fantasy
Conditions of visioning: 30.07.2018, in-flight entertainment, 10" tablet screen.
Synopsis: Callum Lynch (Fassbender) explores the memories of his ancestor Aguilar de Nerha and gains the skills of a Master Assassin, before taking on the secret Templar society.
Review: A big budget and known actors for the adaptation of a famed video game known for its open universe and across-time historical sets. I have never played the game myself, I just saw some demos of the episode released with great publicity a few years ago, at about the same time of the movie in fact.
Good things in this movie are the solid introduction, the acting by Fassbender as immersed in his role as ever, and the presence of Jeremy Irons. I didn't find the action scenes, special effects and story to be very original. The movie plays on a special dark tone, I guess inherited from the video game, and reflects on questions like the heredity of violence thanks to its anti-hero main character, which is also a good point.
But at some point I found it dove too deep into this reflection and lost itself to the point that I didn't get the last half hour. Not only I didn't get the motivation of the characters, but I really didn't get what the hell happened.
Video games cinema adaptations have known better days (see the recent Tomb Raider which received the same rating).
Rating: 3 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment