Friday, August 24, 2018

Shrek (2001)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2001
Director: Andrew Adamson, Vicky Jenson
Actors (voices): Mike Myers (Wayne's World 1-2, Austin Powers 1-3), Eddie Murphy (Coming to America, The Nutty Professor), Cameron Diaz (Charlie's Angels 1-2)
Country: USA
Genre: Animation, Fantasy, Comedy
Conditions of visioning: 10.08.2018, VOD, 10" tablet screen
Synopsis: Shrek the Ogre (Myers) lives peacefully in his swap, scaring away the occasional angry mob. That is until Lord Farquaad banishes all fairy creatures to the very same swamp. He is then forced to go on a quest to free Princess Fiona (Diaz) in company of the annoying Donkey (Murphy).
Review: As I wrote in my review of Shrek 4: Forever After, I have never been a big fan of Shrek. It was nice anyway to watch again how it all started back in 2001. After Antz, Shrek was the second 3D animated movie produced by Dreamworks, at a time when Pixar ruled unchallenged. One can see that the movie is 17 years old by the rather simplicity of the textures, and the static animation sometimes. When you know that on that same year Pixar was giving us the fur quality in Monsters Inc! But Dreamworks and its animation departments have made a huge progress ever since, in both story and animation, to the point of surpassing Pixar that I find has been slowing down since it was bought by Disney.
The fairy tale parody is an interesting concept, however I found it a bit too imposed. But the pace of the movie is constantly high, and the story is really full of ideas so I cannot be too hard on it. I was surprised by the original voice of Shrek, which I found too slow and not fitting to the character (I guess I remember better the French one that I have probably heard at my first viewing), and as I said this character's animation I found poor. Donkey on the other hand is very energetic, well animated and Eddy Murphy did a wonderful job to perfectly catch the character.
In spite of being a parody, it does follow rules of the Fairy Tale genre up to a satisfying resolution.
Rating: 6 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment