Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Jurassic Park (1993)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 1993, 2013 in 3D
Director: Steven Spielberg (Jaws, E.T., Lincoln)
Actors: Sam Neill (In the Mouth of Madness, Event Horizon), Laura Dern (Blue Velvet), Jeff Goldblum (Independance Day), Richard Attenborough (The Great Escape)
Country: USA
Genre: Adventure
Conditions of visioning: 06.07.2015, 3D Blu-ray, Home cinema and 22" 3D screen.
Synopsis: A couple of paleontology experts (Neill, Dern) are hired by multi-millionaire John Hammond (Attenborough) to give their opinion on his most recent venture: a revolutionary amusement park located off the shores of Costa Rica.
Review: I missed the cinema re-release of Jurassic Park in post-converted 3D in 2013 so I fixed that now at home but unfortunately on too small a screen. Note that there exist only a few movies that have been shot in native 3D (like Avatar), most of them were converted in post-processing (including Gravity or Mad Max: Fury Road for example), but there are to my knowledge only two that did it with a large budget (~ 15 million dollars) and enough time (9 months): James Cameron's Titanic and Steven Speilberg's Jurassic Park. I was amazed to see that many shots in the movie seem to have been thought for 3D in the first place, and Spielberg confirmed this in the making-of documentary: looking at dinosaurs and other action scenes from the bottom-up, the kitchen scene, the falling car scene... And the conversion is indeed not bad at all.
After many visioning of this movie its magic still operates on me thanks to the original story (based on Michael Crichton's book), the adaptation by David Koepp, the direction by Spielberg and last but not least the fantastic soundtrack by John Williams, one of his best together with Star Wars. Some downsides: I know the movie so well that I notice many continuity errors, and I am now all too aware of the extreme staging by Spielberg for some of the scenes (actors at the exact perfect place, having the perfect reaction in font of a perfectly placed camera), quite typical of his movies by the way, and which for me cost Jurassic Park the maximum rating.
Rating: 9 /10
I have always love paleontology in general, and dinosaurs in particular, and as a kid I actually wanted to become paleontologist. I first learned about Jurassic Park around 1990 (I was eleven) in the French "Journal de Mickey", reading that the next project from Spielberg, known to the readers of the kid's magazine for E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, would involve dinosaurs. It is one of the first movie I saw in a cinema, and what a revelation then! It has strongly influenced my taste in movies for the years to come, and it is possibly the movie I have seen the most in my life (hard to count but I would say 30-40 times...). And it is also the first VHS I bought, customised with stickers and hold on to this day as a memorabilia. At that time I was reading Tim Gardom's Book of Dinosaurs, switching to David Norman's The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs (perfect for kids) while the consultant on Jurassic Park was James Horner.Years later I discovered Rob Desalle and David Lindley's The Science of Jurassic Park: How to build a Dinosaur, in which you learned about the scientific process that could be used to create dinosaurs like in the movie, the difficulties in doing so, and as a conclusion its impossibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment