Thursday, April 2, 2015

Transcendence (2014)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2014
Director: Wally Pfister (Cinematographer on Inception, the Dark Knight trilogy...)
Actors: Johnny Depp (The Ninth Gate), Rebecca Hall (Iron Man 3), Morgan Freeman (Oblivion), Cillian Murphy (28 Days Later), Kate Mara (Iron Man 2)
Country: USA, GB, CN
Genre: SF
Conditions of visioning: 30.03.2015, Blu-ray, Home cinema
Synopsis: Dr. Will Caster (Depp) is working on computer Artificial Intelligence, at a time when a terrorist group actively preaches that an activated A.I. would mean the end of mankind.
Review: Well, I thought I had read that this was a good movie but now checking on the web after watching it I realize I remembered wrong. It is not really that bad, and at some point I imagined it could be the scariest A.I. movie since Terminator (and its Skynet), but this expectation unfortunately didn't live up the whole length of the movie.
The interesting thing is the evolution that undergoes the character of Johnny Depp, and what he eventually becomes. I guess this is what brought this screenplay to the Hollywood Top-Ten list (the so-called "Black List"). But then the slow pace of the story and lack of motivation by the actors renders the movie less and less attractive, until the anti-climactic ending with contradictory meanings.
And also, why oh why does the movie have to start by showing the ending?!? I understand this can be a nice effect in some movie, to immerse you quickly in the story, but in that case I think it completely disserves it, and removes an element of suspense that could have benefited the otherwise flat story. That alone makes me decrease my final rating.
Rating: 4 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment