Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Blade (1995)

Also Known As: Dao (original)
Year of first release: 1995
Director: Hark Tsui (Once Upon a Time in China 1-3, Black Mask 2, Seven Swords, Flying Swords of the Dragon Gate)
Actors: Xin Xin Xiong, Moses Chan, Wenzhuo Zhao
Country: HK
Genre: Action
Conditions of visioning: 15.04.2013, DVD, Home cinema
Synopsis: After working in a sword factory, a young man goes on a quest to avenge the death of the factory's owner.
Review: I had heard some good about the latest Tsui Hark at that time, but unfortunaly I acquired The Blade thinking it was Seven Swords. I watched the first half hour in Original version, then stopped, then some days later tried to continue in French hoping it would at least be funny, but then I gave up.
I usually don't like criticizing a movie before watching it whole, but I think I have seen enough. The story is confused, the fighting scenes as well, the motivation of the characters is not clear, the image quality is very poor especially when shot at night, and the high-pitched soundtrack is painful to listen to.
I had seen Black Mask 2 which was confusd as well but it was fitting with the chinese super-hero theme. I didn't like at all the recent Flying Swords of the Dragon Gate. I still have Once Upon a Time in China to watch in DVD in my collection, and maybe I will give a last chance to Tsui Hark with Seven Swords, but until now I don't see him as a good director.
Rating: 0 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment