Monday, June 24, 2013

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2004
Director: Mamoru Oshii (Ghost in the Shell, Avalon)
Actors (voices): Akio Ôtsuka, Atsuko Tanaka, Kôichi Yamadera
Country: J
Genre: Animation, SF
Conditions of visioning: 23.06.2013, Blu-ray, Home cinema
Synopsis: Section 9, composed of humans and cyborgs, investigates recent murders apparently commited by the latest model of robots.
Review: I bought this Blu-ray after reading a good review about is quality, and waiting for an edition of the first movie still not available in Blu-ray. At the very beginning I found that it was abusing of CGIs, and not good quality ones. But then as the movie goes I forgot about it and got hypnotized by the images, the music and the slow rythm of the movie that lets you the time to contemplate the scenes. All of this is done in a very similar fashion as the first Ghost in the Shell, so it is a good sequel. You don't always know what the characters are talking about but it is part of the mythology so you just go along. There are plenty of philosophical questions in the background: about artificial inteligence, cyborgs, information sharing, hackers... Had I been more awake, I may have thought more about it, but that's another level that I can explore the next time I watch the movie.
I may now be tempted to watch the TV-series Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex which is not bad from what I read.
Rating: 7 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment