Sunday, March 24, 2013

Fight club (1999)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 1999
Director: David Fincher
Actors: Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, Helen Bonham Carter
Country: USA
Genre: Drama
Conditions of visioning: 05.02.2013, DVD
Synopsis: An insomniac office worker looking for a way to change his life crosses paths with a devil-may-care soap maker and they form an underground fight club that evolves into something much, much more...
Review: The first time I saw this movie, it was in a period when I was insomniac and strange things happened during my sleep, like I wokeup and light and music was on, I woke up and pages were filled on my desk. That is why friends recommended me Fight Club. Aaahhh, nice time in Nancy. I do not feel insomniac anymore, but apparently, I still make strange things while I am asleep...
The movie is one of my favorite ones, because of its sogiological aspect, because of its revolutionary aspect, because of its psychological aspect, in which I somehow identified myself. It is a good picture of the society of that time, and actually of today too, where people (here men) are used by the society, have to work for a company, do not get much recognition (or gratitude?), and do not and cannot make something, for which they are proud of themselves. It shows also how the revolution looks like, as the French revolution started because the bread was too expensive, as in 1999 people having credits had to work a lot to pay it back and as today we all are paying the debts of our banks. From the psychological point of view, we all have the picture of ourself as we are and as we wish to be. For some of us, these pictures can be dramatically different. Some points of the movie are also scary, because this could also look like a league of faschists, machist rules for a corporation following blind their leader...
From a cinematographic point of view, the story-telling, really the telling of the story, is well balanced with the more action episodes. The increasing suspense created by the mysterious relationships, by the slow creation of an army without clear goal are also fascinating! The camera is well thought, showing the point of view of the guy who does not know what happens: in the boss office or in the parking lot. Even the use of subliminal pictures made the upcoming Tyler Durden familiar from the right beginning. Plenty of cinematographic tools used for these goals: confuse the viewer and surprise him.
Rating: 9 /10

2 comments:

  1. The movie made also a strong impression on me the first time I saw it, but not as much as on you it seems! Also one of my favorite movies, although I don't really like fistfights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by the way thanks for the in-depth review.

    ReplyDelete