Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Gravity (2013)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2013
Director: Alfonso Cuarón
Actors: Sandra Bullock, George Clooney
Country: GB, USA
Genre: Drama
Conditions of visioning: 07.10.2013, CineMaxx, OV screening
Synopsis: A medical engineer and an astronaut work together to survive after an accident leaves them drifting in space.
Review: The storyline is excellent and not so fictive. In 1985, the USA shot a scientific satellite Solwind P78-1 with a missile from an F-15. So did China in 2007 with a ballistic missile on their meteosat Fengyun-1C. This last one is now a bunch of space debris spread around the Earth. 
The movie shows a very convincing microgravity (done also with puppeteers techniques) and space flights (lights and CGI). The 3D has a real perspective effect, which makes of this movie the second one for me really using the 3D, after Avatar. The Hobbit was also not so bad. 
As the movie focuses on two actors, the acting had to be good ... and is. The dialogues are very good, both deep and funny. I expected actually even more dialogues, about the overcome of fears and loneliness. But this is not missing. In Y tu mama tambien Alfonso Cuarón did also a scene very intimate and with good dialogues about life in the middle of scenes with more action. This time also this scene is brought very well from the story line point of view. The decision to make a long take from the right beginning let me feel immediately being in space and was therefore very good. Even if actually it is also exagerated to show the fine special effects.
Rating: 8 /10

1 comment:

  1. After hearing so much about it, I finally went to see Gravity at the CINEMA theater in 3D on 29.10.2013. The movie made the cover of the Mad Movies magazine of October with the title "the SF smash of the decade" and all the editors of the magazine gave it 5/6 or 6/6. Only to say that I had some expectations!
    It is true that it is technically extremely well done. Not only gravity but all the laws of physics are well respected and make you understand how difficult it is to do anything without gravity to help objects stay in place. The choice of using long takes, rare nowadays, is very useful to have the viewer immerged in the space environment.
    But I didn't really like the "dialogs about fear and loneliness" as you call them. I was more often annoyed about the reactions of the main characters that I didn't find logical. Maybe this is what is interpreted in the Mad Movies article as hesitation between surviving and just letting go to make one with the stars...
    More than that, I was annoyed because I found it difficult to feel the loneliness of space at the center of a cinema room filled with people eating popcorn (I know, it is not the first time I complain about this). What annoyed me also is the coincidences in the movie. Space is large, even near Earth, so you don't expect to have three space stations less than 100 km one from another, and on the same trajectory. The astronauts have a million reasons to die up there but manage to avoid that fate. Some scenes even remind me of the escape from the Mir station in Armageddon, wich is not a compliment.
    Finally the worst was the bad quality of the 3D projection. In the cinema in which I was, there was a strong cross-talk (~ 10%) between the left and right image, which was very obvious in this movie because of the extreme contrasts continually dispayed (deep dark background with bright objects reflecting the sun in foreground). This disturbed me a lot and I couldn't enjoy the 3D at all, although floating ojects (here in space) are the best subject for 3D (remember the underwater swimming scene in Piranha 3D).
    I will probably try to watch the movie again, maybe in 2D and quitely on my Home cinema. Meanwhile, my present experience with watching Gravity doesn't allow me to rate it more than 6/10. OK I push it to 7/10 because some scenes are really beautiful (I am thinking about the last "ride").

    ReplyDelete