Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The Game (1997)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 1997
Director: David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club, Gone Girl)
Actors: Michael Douglas (Basic Instinct, Ant-Man), Deborah Kara Unger (Payback), Sean Penn (Mystic Rivers)
Country: USA
Genre: Thriller
Conditions of visioning: 10.12.2016, VOD, 32" TV.
Synopsis: Nicholas van Orton (Douglas) is very rich and lonely, and not a good person in general with his acquaintances. On his birthday his brother (Penn) that he rarely meets offers him the services of an mysterious Entertainment company.
Review: I did not see this movie at its release, only some years later, and I remember thinking "what a story!". It impressed me at the time as extremely original and addictive, I didn't know yet the work of David Fincher then. So many years later I still remembered vividly the ending but I decided to watch it again for the journey not the destination. And it was well worth the trip.
Michael Douglas is at his best at the heart of this story, and manages to convey the subtle changes in his character's behavior as he gets curious about the game. The apparitions of Sean Penn reinforce his play.
Most importantly what makes it a great movie is the intricate story that kept me tense for the two hours of the movie, even though I remembered it roughly. It just takes you along the main character in his search for meaning. And the way the story is put in images is also to be praised: dark corners and alleyways, characters and details appearing from the edges of the screen... And of course at the end of the journey the reward is totally satisfying.
A great Thriller like very few from the 90's. That is the kind of movie I would recommend to anybody who hasn't seen it yet.
Rating: 9 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment