Monday, July 30, 2012

The Tree of Life (2011)


Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2011
Director: Terrence Malick (The New World)
Actors: Brad Pitt (Fight Club), Sean Penn (Mystic River)
Country: USA
Genre: Drama
Conditions of visioning: 13.07.2012, Blu-ray, Home Cinema
Synopsis: A couple is faced with loss of a child. What has is brother become 30 years later...
Review: Since I first heard of this movie I wanted to know more about this director supposed to make "contemplative" movies, so I watched The New World. Then I waited a little before watching The Tree of Life. I also wanted to watch it because it has both Brad Pitt and dinosaurs in it, and more seriously because some special effects were supervised by Douglas Trumbull (Blade Runner, 2001 Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Silent Running). After 2 minutes of movie you are sure it is a Terrence Malick movie: nice images, not always connected one with the next, few dialogs, whispers... The movie is not bad. I liked it when it leaves the characters to show the creation of the universe, in juxtaposed images not unlike Jens Harder in his excellent comics Alpha, Directions. The rest of the movie is more contemporary, easier to follow and more linear, which makes me prefer it to The New World... but all in all it is still very contemplative. You have to like watching trees. Also don't forget to push up the volume (like I read the director adviced) to hear all the range of tones in the sountrack.
Rating: 6 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment