Sunday, April 14, 2019

Bombing War: From Guernica to Hiroshima (2016)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2016
Director: Emmanuel Blanchard, Fabrice Salinié
Actors: -
Country: F
Genre: Documentary, War
Conditions of visioning: 29-30.03.2019, VOD, 10" tablet screen
Synopsis: The evolution of military strategies that tried to avoid but inevitably led to bombing civilians during WWII, on both sides.
Review: Bombing War is the first thing I watched after subscribing to the Curiosity Stream VOD channel. In general I am disappointed that this channel, supposed to offer tons of award-winning documentaries, offers in fact almost exclusively TV documentaries, and none of the BBC Nature ones for example. Some look good, interesting and well-done but I find it to be a little false advertising.
Recently I am watching quite a few things related to War in general and WWII in particular, be it movies (Darkest Hour, Fury, Pearl Harbor), Documentaries (Hitler, a Career, Hitler's Steel Beast) or YouTube videos about the atom bomb or aircraft carriers. Bombing War is a nice overview of the evolution of the strategy of bombing civilians through time, but mostly during WWII, thus the sub-title. I found it quite informative and seemingly well-researched, providing the strategic point of view of all sides, while keeping delivering the re-assuring but vain message that bombing civilians isn't the solution to and can't be allowed in any war.
But the most impressive I found was the use of colorized footage to illustrate the narration. I found the footage to be always appropriate and as well-researched as the story, but for a reason I can't explain the addition of color gives an extra depth to footage we may have already seen. What helps in a more subtle manner are the sounds that were added to I guess mostly silent footage, like some undiscernable background voices when you see people talking at a meeting. I am sure this helps a lot in making the Documentary easier to watch for a modern audience.
Browsing the web I found the website of the company who did the job, well done. For a while now I have been seeing that Netflix has a Documentary entitled World War II in color. I have a renewed interest in watching it.
Rating: 6 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment