Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The Toys that made Us - Season 2 (2018)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2018
Director: Tom Stern
Actors: Donald Ian Black, Mark Bellomo, David Vonner
Country: USA
Genre: Documentary
Conditions of visioning: June 2018, VOD, 10" tablet screen
Synopsis: The history of the success of famous toy lines, and anecdotes behind those.
Review: After a good first season that I qualified of "interesting piece of American pop culture history", this second and last one follows in its footsteps with four more iconic toy lines. However, I found it a little less interesting, maybe because it lacks this placement in the "context of the period: political, social, economical, fashion". It does it a little, but maybe not enough for me to get hooked to the episodes, which I binged-watched anyway in two days.
The Star Trek episode is interesting compared to the Star Wars one of the first season. The Transformers one is the best of the season, and even though I could never afford a real Transformers toy, it brought back found memories of other transforming robot toys I owned. The LEGO episode taught me about the ups and downs of the company which I thought has been successful since always. And Hello Kitty nicely presents how toy business is handled in Japan. In fact this second season is much more international than the first.
This second season nicely complements the first of this "eight-part Documentary series about the toys that we all know" as the jingle says even though again, it may mean more to an American audience.
Rating: 5 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment