Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Friends - Season 10 (2003)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2003
Creators: David Crane, Marta Kauffman
Actors: Jennifer Aniston (We're the Millers), Courteney Cox (Scream 1-4), Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc (Lost in Space), Matthew Perry (The Whole Nine Yards 1-2), David Schwimmer
Country: USA
Genre: Comedy
Conditions of visioning: May 2018, VOD, 32" TV screen
Synopsis: Follow the adventures of six long-time friends living in New-York.
Review: I don't usually review Comedy TV-series in this 20-minute format but I will make an exception for this one that was revolutionary at the time. I remember that it was announced as such in France back in 1994, when an episode aired in Prime Time and a talk-show debated about it (for those who remember: Ça se discute with Jean-Luc Delarue). I followed the series with passion and laughter for 10 years, like many of us did, almost to the point of getting sick of all the replays. Thus I thought I knew it all too well, but I had forgotten that I saw that last season maybe only once or twice.
Thus I enjoyed watching again this conclusion because it put me back in the mood I was when watching it 15 years ago, and in particular I appreciate that it could take the time to build a proper good-bye, and a very emotional one at that, a luxury that many series don't have the opportunity to have nowadays because of abrupt cancellations (the only other one for which I had the same feeling of closure was Sons of Anarchy). I also found the timing right: those 10 seasons were just right to give us enough of our Friends, show them evolve while retaining some aspects that we liked, and say good-bye before it becomes too repetitive. The eternal playboy Joey for example seems a bit out of place by the end of the series, and the attempt to keep him alive in his own series Joey failed miserably after just two seasons.
I found that there was a lot of Drama and feelings in that season, well-balanced with the jokes we know the series for. And I even found those jokes more evolved than in the seasons I remember. I found it also funny to see how those urban people lived at a time when internet was young, when there were no smartphones and Facebook didn't exit! We only get hints of online social activities towards the end.
In spite of their difficulties I have always found the lives of those young people to be idealized, but I could still relate to them, unlike with the rich kids of Beverly Hills for example. I don't think I will watch other seasons which have probably aged and which I know too well, but it was really nice re-living this season-long conclusion. My rating probably reflects the found memories of the wholes series that this season brought back, rather then its inner qualities or its immediate comedic impact.
Rating: 7 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment