Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2005
Director: George Lucas (Star Wars I, II, IV)
Actors: Hayden Christensen (Pusher), Natalie Portman (Black Swan), Ewan McGregor (Trainspotting)
Country: USA
Genre: SF
Conditions of visioning: 30.01.2015, Blu-ray, Home cinema
Synopsis: War continues to rage between the Republic and the separatists
Review: After recently enjoying The Lord of the Rings trilogy in Blu-ray, I was tempted to watch on the same support that other great story for geeks in six episodes: Star Wars, but I didn't know where to start. I think I already wanted to do that two years ago when I reviewed Episode IV: A New Hope, but never went on with the rest.
This time I wanted more action and special effects so I watched the latest release: Episode III, because I know too well Episode I and I don't like too much the pod race, especially not the extended version, and I still remember vividly the ridiculous romance moments from Episode II. Some of those still transpire in Episode III (the embarrassing: "because I love you", "no, because I am so in love with you!"), but the fact that it does the link to the classic trilogy makes it more attractive.
As usual with Star Wars, some great things are the colorful landscapes and the variety of no-less-colorful characters. And Space battles are too rare in cinema to complain about the ones generously displayed here, from the opening sequence already. And there are two sequences to save: when Padme confesses to Anakin her thoughts that they might be fighting on the wrong side (a prelude to the Rebellion), and when the same both characters separately look through windows in silence (only very light soundtrack music) and Anakin then takes the decision that will change the fate of the Galaxy.
But beyond this fantastic universe created in 1977, I realized that the movie contains a lot of empty dialogs, delivered by unconvincing actors. If the role of the director is to guide the actors, then you understand why Lucas has not done it in a while: it is not his strength. Christensen plays like a bad Ryan Gosling, McGregor is bored and the worst is McDarmid that overplays the Emperor to the extreme.
At the end of the projection, I clearly didn't feel like I do when I watch the episodes of the classic trilogy. Maybe I should rather resume with those in the near future. After that, J. J. Abrams can only save the saga with his Episode VII to be released at the end of this year.
Rating: 5 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment