Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Megamind (2010)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2010
Director: Tom McGrath (Madagascar 1-3)
Actors (voices): Will Ferrell (Zoolander, Elf), Jonah Hill (21 Jump Street), Brad Pitt (World War Z, Fight Club)
Country: USA
Genre: Animation, Action, Comedy
Conditions of visioning: 31.01.2015, HD VOD, Home cinema
Synopsis: Megamind (Ferrell) and Metroman (Pitt) have always been enemies and fighting for the control of Metro-City.
Review: Between Pixar, Disney, Dreamworks and some other studios, there are so many animated films that are released every year (5-10) that I can't keep up. There used to be a time when I knew them all. I was not very attracted by Megamind, as I am usually not a big fan of Dreamworks' productions: Madagascar, the whole Shrek series, The Road to El Dorado, Over the Edge... But this trend might be changing with some movies I enjoyed like Kung Fu Panda, and I heard some good about How to train your Dragon. The tide is definitely turning, as I like Megamind better that Pixar's latest Brave.
What I like here is the character of Megamind who choose to be evil but has a big heart as we will discover throughout the movie, especially when he unexpectedly gets control of the city he has always wanted. There are the usual elements one would expect in an animated feature aimed at kids: slapstick humour, light romance, funny animals (this time a fish), but for some reason I found the mix well done.
The secret to a good animated movie (one could say to any movie) might be good characters, even more importantly than a good story.
Rating: 7 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment