Thursday, December 5, 2013

La 7ème cible (1984)

Also Known As: Tödliche Angst
Year of first release: 1984
Director: Claude Pinoteau
Actors: Lino Ventura, Jean Poiret, Lea Massari, Elisabeth Bourgine, Jean-Pierre Bacri
Country: F
Genre: Thriller
Conditions of visioning: 30.11.2013, DVD
Synopsis: A former great reporter, Bastien Grimaldi, is subject to death threat. His family worries but he prefers to hide it to the police as he has other worries, family, married mistress. He starts his own inquiry and discovers that he is the target of a known blackmailer, Hagner. 
Review: This movies saves the whole pack of Lino Ventura DVDs! This movie follows at the beginning the same type of suspense as other thriller movies, an innocent guy followed by mysterious bad guys. The traditional secrecy of Bastien's family is also very oppressing. This time Pinoteau avoided his early mistakes and makes a very mature thriller at the level of the best Hitchcock's. And the classic music in the storyline involves the talented Vladimir Cosma as componist of the soundtrack. This is one major advantage! The theme fits perfectly to the thriller and suspense atmospheres. Then Lino Ventura as well as the other roles are very well acted: Jean Poiret, Lea Massari, Elisabeth Bourgine and Jean-Pierre Bacri. This is the kind of Lino Ventura movie, I had in mind from my youth. Excellent!
Rating: 8 /10

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing those French polars! I miss watching those sometimes. Now I know which one I should buy if I want to watch a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is what I wanted to do. Focus on one actor or director, here Lino Ventura as actor. View several of his movies and give then a kind of overview on his work. Well, here the four movies with Lino Ventura do not mirror his roles, so that the current overview cannot be given. The movies like Army of shadows would also be necessary and more recent ones like La gifle. I will try to continue on Lino Ventura and then swap to another director or actor... Hitchcock would be on top of my list, Michel Gondry not so far away and Jared Letto as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have finally watched on 10.03.2015 this third DVD in the boxset containg also Le Silencieux, La Gifle and a documentary about Lino Ventura that I commented in the post of the latter. I liked La 7eme Cible and totally agree with your review, except that I found the music a bit too present and repetitive.
    The filmmaking is very realistic, and the viewer is immersed in this story, wondering at the same time as the main character what is happening to him. The tension slowly builds up like in a good Hitchcock, without the need for action scenes. I also liked to see a young Jean-Pierre Bacri as police inspector who brings his daughters during an investigation. The movie is filled with such small details that don't add to the story but that make the characters believable and human.
    My rating: 7/10.

    ReplyDelete