Sunday, November 17, 2013

Le silencieux (1973)

Also Known As: The silent one
Year of first release: 1973
Director: Claude Pinoteau
Actors: Lino Ventura, Lea Massari
Country: F, I
Genre: Polar
Conditions of visioning: 08.11.2013, DVD
Synopsis: Un savant physicien soviétique est enlevé par les services secrets britanniques. Dès lors celui-ci est poursuivi par le KGB.
Review: The story is a very good one. It is at the same level as a good Hitchcock spy movie. As usual in a French movie, no special effects. Surprisingly in the middle of the movie, there is a bit of music very linked to Hitchcock style, so that the originality of the movie looses a bit. Even if music could have make the first part better by giving a bit of suspense. This second Lino Ventura movie from the series is better than Un témoin dans la ville, but is not yet a master of suspense
Rating: 5 /10

1 comment:

  1. After reading your reviews I bought a Lino Ventura DVD box-set containg Le Silencieux, La Gifle, La 7ème cible and a documentary on Lino Ventura seen by the director Claude Pinoteau. I have watched the first movie on 12.03.2014 on my Home cinema. As I watch a lot of Hitchcock those days, I have the same coment as you: the spy story is good. Moreover, I found another relationship with the Master of Suspense: in Le Silencieux the enemies are always directly on the tail of the hero. I also liked the slow rythm at the beginning and the mystery, the good dialogs and the general movie direction.
    I didn't like the fact that this French movie introduces many foreign characters and places to make the stakes more important, but it looks obvious that Ventura (and other French characters) don't know a word of a foreign language.
    I liked the movie especially for the fact that the bad guys are finally not the KGB but all secret service agencies from all countries, because as the hero says, they all destroy lives of people by kidnapping them.
    My rating: 6/10

    ReplyDelete