Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Enchanted (2007)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2007
Director: Kevin Lima (Tarzan, 102 Dalmatians)
Actors: Amy Adams (Man of Steel), Patrick Dempsey (Transformers 3), Susan Sarandon (Thelma & Louise), James Marsden (X-men 1-3)
Country: USA
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Comedy, Animation
Conditions of visioning: 11.01.2014, SD VOD, Home cinema
Synopsis: Giselle (Adams) lives in a cartoon fairy tale. Right before marrying her prince (Marsden), she is thrown by his evil step-mother (Sarandon) into the real world.
Review: I had never heard about this movie before and it doesn't belong to the category of movies I usually watch. But change is always welcome, I guess it doesn't hurt to watch a romantic comedy sometimes, especially since this one has a Fantasy component. I was really surprised by the animated start as I didn't know the plot, but then I could enjoy the comedy brought by the contradiction between Giselle's home fantasy world and the real New York City.
This brings some good moments, like when she cleans an appartment with the help of animals (like SnowWhite does) except that in the city those animals are rats, pigeons and cockroaches. Also funny is when she starts to sing in Central Park (like in a cartoon) and brings along a crowd with her, but we sometimes glimpse her friend (Dempsey) solidly connected to the real world and understanding the oddness of it all.
Rather cheesy Romance kicks in at some point but it is balanced by new characters appearing from the Fantasy land. Althought not my genre of movies, this one gets a good rating thanks to the original story and the offbeat situations. I actually think I like this embezzlement of the Disney world better than Shreck.
Rating: 7 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment