Thursday, October 15, 2020

Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2020
Director: Dean Parisot (R.E.D. 2)
Actors: Keanu Reeves (The Matrix 1-3, 47 Ronin, John Wick 1-3), Alex Winter (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure), Kristen Schaal
Country: USA, CDN, I
Genre: Comedy
Conditions of visioning: 11.10.2020, VOD, 10" tablet screen.
Synopsis: Now middle-age dads, Bill (Winter) and Ted (Reeves) are still expecting to come up with the rock song which will unite the Earth, save the Universe and Reality itself, as they were told during their time-traveling adventures.

Review: I missed the fun in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure when I recently watched it, but I understood why. Then I forgot to watch Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey to which Face the Music is the sequel, and conclusion to the trilogy. This explains that I missed the reference to several characters and adventures.
Sadly, this movie belongs to the growing list of sequels produced far too late after the success of the original. I discuss this phenomenon at length in my review of Bad Boys for Life, although this one was the exception to the rule. I don't understand why Keanu Reeves accepted to be on board, with his continuously successful career, the John Wick series being the latest addition to it, and he is rumored to soon enter the MCU. I guess it is hard to refuse an easy paycheck.
But in exchange, he delivers a performance stunningly in line with the one from 30 years ago (waw!), quite goofy for an actor we are more used to see in serious / action / violent roles. Alex Winter follows the same line, as well as their daughters.
As expected, the movie offers more meetings with celebrities through time, with the addition of Bill an Ted meeting many versions of themselves. The story is not hard to follow but I didn't laugh at any moment, I just watched the scenes happening as they had no effect on me. Really, quite as the original movie. Except that this was an immediate success, hitting the right audience at the right time, while the new movie is a programmed release to cash on nostalgia from viewers now in their 40's.
A release in 2020 (COVID-19 year, in case you have forgotten by the time you read those lines in the distant future) probably didn't help the movie making a profit, and it will be quickly forgotten.
 
Rating: 3 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment