Sunday, July 9, 2017

Man Up (2015)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2015
Director: Ben Palmer
Actors: Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz), Keir Charles, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Lake Bell
Country: GB
Genre: Romance, Comedy
Conditions of visioning: 02.07.2017, VOD, 10" tablet screen
Synopsis: Desperate single woman Nancy (Bell) finds herself stealing the blind date (Pegg) of a woman she met on a train. They turn out to be a good match.
Review: I chose to watch this Romantic Comedy expecting some laughs from Simon Pegg and I was not disappointed as he is perfect for the role. But he is not the only reason to watch the movie. The life of single 30 year-olds is often depicted in Romantic Comedies targeted to an older audience than the more numerous teenage/young adults movie-goes, and this is an interesting age for such a movie because the characters have then enough luggage (relationships, divorce, job...) to make the story interesting and speaking to me.
I am not watching many movies of the genre but when compared to American Romantic Comedies it seems to me that the British ones are more realistic and don't rely on a a Fantastic setting or exaggerated situations and humor (I did like Love Actually). Man up does a little of that (the stalker lover Sean) but otherwise shows realistic character reactions, which I appreciate.
There is a lot of talking in the movie but I found them interesting and appropriate, be it for comedy or drama. I was only a bit disappointed by the ending, totally predictable and that follows the codes of the genre to the letter, while the rest of the movie was exploring new paths. But that's the ending that probably works best.
Rating: 7 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment