Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Predestination (2014)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2014
Director: Michael & Peter Spierig as The Spierig Brothers (Undead, Daybreakers)
Actors: Ethan Hawke (Gatacca), Sarah Snook, Noah Taylor
Country: AUS
Genre: SF, Thriller
Conditions of visioning: 27.02.2017, VOD, 40" TV screen.
Synopsis: To save the future he must protect the past.
Review: I had never heard about this movie which was recommended to me by the Netflix engine, but a few scenes into Predestinations I knew that it took elements from a short novel considered one of the best stories about time-travel: Robert A. Heinlein's All you Zombies which I have read and mentioned in my article about the Starship Troopers saga. What I realized only later in the movie is that it is in fact a full adaptation of the novel, and a good one at that for any amateur of SF B-movies. The short story is not much adapted to fit the format of a full-length cinema feature. Only an extra layer of relationships is skilfully added, leading to more character development and dialogs when the novel is more a monologue, and the introduction of a McGuffin that also makes the story parts stick together.
The editing, crucial in such stories, is well done to preserve the mystery and deliver the twists at the desired moments for someone who doesn't know the story like I do (knowing those twists did in fact spoil a bit my pleasure of watching the movie). Ethan Hawk is good, and I can only regret a better cast for the character of Jane whose sex is hard to conceal in spite of a good acting and a well-applied make-up and wardrobe.
I have known the Spierig brothers since their refreshing home-made Undead and the no-less original Daybreakers. It is nice to see that they are still at the forefront of presenting classic SF stories (zombies, vampires, time-travel) from a new angle, with the help of a Master of written SF in the case of Predestinations. Their next feature is entitled Winchester, and I could be curious to see what they plan to do to the Saw franchise with Legacy.
Rating: 7 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment