Monday, August 15, 2016

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1&2 (2014-2015)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2014, 2015
Director: Francis Lawrence (Constantine, I am Legend)
Actors: Jennifer Lawrence (X-men: Days of Future Past), Liam Hemsworth (The Expendables 2), Woody Harrelson (EdTV, Zombieland), Josh Hutcherson (Detention, Voyage to the Center of the Earth), Julianne Moore (Jurassic Park: The Lost World, The Big Lebowski)
Country: USA
Genre: SF, Action
Conditions of visioning: 08.05.2016, in-flight entertainment 10" screen.
Synopsis: Katniss Everdeen (Lawrence) is in District 13 after she shatters the games forever. Under the leadership of President Coin (Moore) and the advice of her trusted friends, Katniss spreads her wings as she fights to save Peeta (Hutcherson) and a nation moved by her courage.
Review: For this successful trilogy the studio also played the game of releasing the last episode in two parts for more revenue. Despising such practice, I will review the two movies as one. Our reviews of The Hunger Games and Catching Fire were not positive and watching the third one on a plane entertainment system was fitting. It is not that the movies are badly done, but it is rather that we see them as mass entertainment disguised as a philosophical journey and abusing of the taste of people for reality-TV. We are way past the comparison with the Japanese classic Battle Royale.
Mockingjay uses the same elements as the first movies, including surviving games even when there s no real justification to. We get to see the same characters, all of them played rather well by good actors in fact, and some die but I didn't feel any empathy for them as I didn't feel attached to any of them in the first place, even the one played by Woody Harrelson to whom I could have related (he may even be in the story with the purpose of attracting an older audience).
On a positive note, I found the ending suitingly dark as any anticipation movie ending should be.
All of the Hunger Games movies make me question my taste in movies, and wonder whether those are really bad, or if I am getting to detached from the evolution of Cinema and starting to say "It was better in my time" like my grandfather used to say to me.
Rating: 4 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment