Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Fargo - Season 2 (2016)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 2016
Writer: Noah Hawley + others
Actors: Kirsten Dunst (The Virgin Suicide, Spiderman 1-3), Patrick Wilson (Watchmen, The Conjuring), Jesse Plemons, Jean Smart, Ted Danson
Country: USA
Genre: Black Comedy, Polar
Conditions of visioning: March 2016, HD VOD, 10" tablet screen
Synopsis: In 1979, a gang war is about to burst in the small towns of Laverne, Fargo and Sioux Falls. Some of the local Police and people get involved, often against their will.
Review: I had found that the spirit of the movie Fargo by the Coen brothers was well transmitted to the first season of the TV-series, and was delighted when I understood the linking point. The second season tells a story that happened 30 years before the first and the most obvious link is the character of Lou Solverson. It took me until the end of the season plus the help of Internet to really get that connection (I guess I watched the first one too long ago) as well as some other hidden ones.
The story and the way of telling it re-use the same elements that we love from this franchise: a set of colorful characters in particular the bandits, a central police character and his family, study of the reaction of ordinary fellows to extra-ordinary situations, unexpected deaths in odd circumstances, and of course bitter cold, snow and that accent from the North.
Kirsten Dunst is quite good and at counter-use in this role of bling-bling housewife, and I am getting to like more and more Patrick Wilson.

Setting this third story of the franchise in the past was an excellent idea as it gives some new visual identity, or rather the source for the future identity. Plus a prequel is always enjoyable for the fans when they get the future connections.
But I didn't immerse in the story like I did in the other ones and I found some episodes slow or predictable, in spite of some strong characters. When I think more of it, it is definitely one notch below the first season.
Note that throughout the season I recognized with a smile the covers from at least three songs from The Big Lebowski soundtrack.
Rating: 6 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment