Friday, August 21, 2015

Sliding Doors (1998)

Also Known As: -
Year of first release: 1998
Director: Peter Howitt (Johnny English)
Actors: Gwyneth Paltrow (Iron Man 1-3, Contagion), John Hannah (The Mummy 1-2, Four Weddings and a Funeral), John Lynch (Black Death)
Country: USA, GB
Genre: Romance
Conditions of visioning: 19.08.2015, Blu-ray, Home cinema
Synopsis: After Helen (Paltrow) looses her job, we follow two possible life tracks for her: one in which she catches her train and gets home in time to find her boyfriend (Lynch) cheating on her, another in which she misses that and stays with him.
Review: I found the synopsis of this movie intriguing when I heard about it... already 17 years ago! But I watch it now for the first time. I don't think I ever saw Gwyneth Paltrow in a movie before the Iron Man series. In 1998 she was young and cute and perfectly fitting in this role.
I liked in Sliding Doors the British Romance touch reminding of Four Wedding and A Funeral, Notting Hill or Love Actually. It is hard for me to rate as I am not watching many Romances, but I liked this one, especially because of its original concept. Otherwise the story is a bit predictable and the characters are OK. The ending increases the interest of this movie a notch as it is more risky than what I would have expected from this kind of feel-good Romance.
Rating: 7 /10

No comments:

Post a Comment